auspex

Novel Tease

Random meanderings about the books I love—or don't.

Interspersed with observations about my hobbies: Beer & Wine, Bridge, Bikes and Bow-wows.

The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Pontypool Changes Everything
Tony Burgess
Saturn's Children - Charles Stross I didn't think I was going to like this story at the start. When, by page 5, we've seen that a post-human Solar system, inhabited solely by robots, looks almost identical to the worst one we might have had if humans had survived, one might not expect much.

Add to that, that purely coincidentally, one of my GoodRead friends read this between the time I took it out of the library and getting around to it, and she found the identity-switching very confusing (as individual robots can insert their siblings' "soul chips" and gain their experiences and memories), and I was sure it was going to be a disaster.

In the end, I found that it needed a fair bit of concentration to keep the identities straight, as Freya switched between her "self" and two or three versions of Juliette (more recent copies of her soul chip), but it wasn't too complicated.

The moral of the tale is worth the trouble. If mankind creates robots in its own image, and embeds Asimovian laws upon machine-kind, are we any better than our slave-owning ancestors? In what real way is a sentient, sapient, human-appearing android different from a human? And if the slave-owners suddenly disappeared, would the slaves ever want them to return?