auspex

Novel Tease

Random meanderings about the books I love—or don't.

Interspersed with observations about my hobbies: Beer & Wine, Bridge, Bikes and Bow-wows.

The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Pontypool Changes Everything
Tony Burgess
Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker - Kevin D. Mitnick, William L. Simon, Steve Wozniak This was Kevin D. Mitnick's "get even" book. The sole reason for writing it seems to have been to name everybody who ever did him a bad turn.

The hacking, and particularly the social engineering, is fascinating, but the character is a louse. He seems to think that just because he didn't intend to make a profit from his hacking, he should be treated as innocent. I'm sorry: like many smart people who go to jail, he spent a good bit of his time learning the law. He knew when he was hacking exactly what laws he was breaking and what the penalties could be. If there hadn't been penalties, he probably wouldn't have found the hacking interesting enough. So don't expect sympathy from us when you finally got caught, and don't expect us to agree with you when your co-conspirators turn out to be spying on your for the FBI.