auspex

Novel Tease

Random meanderings about the books I love—or don't.

Interspersed with observations about my hobbies: Beer & Wine, Bridge, Bikes and Bow-wows.

The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Pontypool Changes Everything
Tony Burgess
The Quantum Thief - Hannu Rajaniemi My enjoyment of this book was damaged by the publisher's blurb. Why make such a big deal about how he's the Next Big Thing in "Hard SF"? I was continually distracted by the fact that this really doesn't qualify as Hard SF, which imo shouldn't be subject to "Clarke's Law" ("any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic").

Anyway, I don't know that Rajaniemi makes any such claim for himself, and the story was novel and exciting. Unfortunately I also had a rather hard time keeping track of the characters. When people can shed bodies, or transform the ones they have, doppelgangers appear at random, and some characters may just be figments of someone's imagination; that's likely to happen.

Clearly the story is not over. We need to know how the Founders were established, and who they are; why many of the most significant nouns are Russian; who is "pellegrini" (notably not written as a proper noun); and, of course, who is Jean le Flambeau? I'm just not sure I'm up to the number of volumes it seems likely this is going to take...