auspex

Novel Tease

Random meanderings about the books I love—or don't.

Interspersed with observations about my hobbies: Beer & Wine, Bridge, Bikes and Bow-wows.

The Book Thief
Markus Zusak
Pontypool Changes Everything
Tony Burgess
The Fight for English: How Language Pundits Ate, Shot, and Left - David Crystal I wasn't as thrilled with this book as I hoped. I love discussions of the English language, and I love to see academics tell me that there's no simple prescription for preserving the language; that English is — and must be — a growing language, but this read far too much like a list of things he hates about all the plans that have been proposed to save the language, without much of a plan of his own.

I admit to being incensed when he told us "You have to look hard to find a vestige of a smile in Johnson, Lowth, Murray, Fowler, and all the others" (and not because of the arguably incorrect comma before 'and'). He may even be right, because I don't have Fowler's original [b:A Dictionary of Modern English Usage|275815|A Dictionary of Modern English Usage|H.W. Fowler|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1173337062s/275815.jpg|267469], only the second and third editions, so perhaps the humor of the second edition is from Gowers, the editor and revisor, but I find it endlessly full of humor - and since Crystal had no advice to offer me to make my English better, Fowler will continue to be my go-to when I question my own usage.